CIEFL was established in Hyderabad
in 1958 as Central Institute of English as an autonomous institution
by the Government of India. In 1972 it was renamed as CIEFL and
its purview was increased to include foreign languages, and was
recognised as a deemed University in 1973. Two branches of CIEFL
are in Shillong and Lucknow. CIEFL has facilities to teach 2000
students for various P.G., M. Phil, and Ph.D., courses in English
and foreign languages like Arabic, French, German, Spanish and Russian.
The Educational Media Research Center of this institute provides
video and audio English lessons through radio and TV. This institute
also provides short term and long term correspondense courses.